Monday, May 18, 2009

GET

EXERCISES

1 Match the sentences (1–5) with the meanings of get (a–e).
1__ 2__ 3__ 4__ 5__
1 Let’s go home before it gets dark.
2 Can you get some milk when you go to the shop?
3 I usually get to school at 8.30.
4 I got an email from John today!
5 Could you get me a glass of water from the kitchen, please?

a) arrive
b) bring
c) become
d) buy
e) receive

2 What does get mean? Write an alternative verb for each list.
1 get (to) / ………… (at) home, (at) school, (at) Madrid
2 get / ………… late, hot, thirsty, hungry
3 get / ………… a newspaper, a drink, some new shoes
4 get / ………… a letter, some bad news, a good mark
5 get / ………… a glass of water, my book, a plate from the cupboard

3. Write the sentences using a different verb
1. My mum gets angry if I stay out late ________________________________
2. I got these trainers at a sports shop in town____________________________
3. David got to school at eight this morning_______________________________
4. I got a letter from my cousin this morning______________________________
5. Can you get a dictionary from the shelf over there?________________________
6. It´s getting late. I muat go home____________________________________
7.Go and get a plate from the cupboard__________________________________
8. I´m going to the shop to get some bread________________________________
9. What time did the train get to Oxford?_________________________________
10. Open the window. It´s getting hot in here______________________________

4. In pairs, ask and answer the questions
1. What did you get for your birthday?
2. What time did you get home from school?
3. Last time you went shopping, did you get any CDs?
4. What time does it get dark on the shortest day of the year?/ the longest day of the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment